Versatile and Efficient Heading Management System
Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine has designed the CompassNet heading management system to deliver an unrivalled system solution for comprehensive multiple heading management control. The CompassNet system uses Ethernet connection for all communication between the connected heading sensors and the heading distribution and heading management system. A complete new set of heading sensors, both spinning mass and fibre-optic, will be available for connection to CompassNet.
Reliable and cost effective control
CompassNet provides you with a system that is both reliable and easy to use. CompassNet offers many benefits, including:
- Low cost and ease of installation
- Outstanding performance
- Improved efficiency
- Variety of configurations
Sperry Marine Navigation Systems
The experience and expertise of Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine enables us to deliver reliable navigation systems which are well-known for their precision and user-friendly design. CompassNet is just one example of the navigation systems offered by Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine.
At Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine, we manage the whole system life cycle, including equipment, project engineering, logistics, supervision of installation, commissioning, crew training and after sales service. All solutions are backed up with qualified, worldwide service around the clock to ensure reliable operation and maximum availability of the vessel.
Low Cost & Ease of Installation
Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine is the first company to employ Ethernet technology in its heading management systems. This reduces the complexity of installation, simplifies operational performance and guarantees improved reliability and navigational safety. With less wiring, it’s quicker, easier and less expensive for you to install and commission. Because there are fewer connections, it’s also easier to connect a range of additional equipment to enhance your heading management requirements.
Functionality is further simplified through the use of two 24V DC power sources for all components.
CompassNet offers improved system redundancy and resilience, avoiding multiple functionality of hardware in a multi-gyrocompass system. It also offers “plug and play” functionality and reduces the number of Control and Display units required.
Key to the function of the CompassNet system is the Data Distribution Unit (DDU) with 1 or 2 processor boards, depending on the system configuration, the Control and Display Unit and the heading sensor(s).
The performance of CompassNet is further enhanced by integration with our new NAVITWIN V control and display unit and allows the connection of up to 5 heading sensors.
CompassNet is an integrated system that incorporates the NAVITWIN V control and display unit (CDU), the Data Distribution Unit with integral processor board(s).
To give you maximum flexibility and convenience, the NAVITWIN V displays and monitors up to five heading sources (four gyrocompass headings and one magnetic compass heading) from a variety of heading sensors. The NAVITWIN V can provide a number of functions:
- Heading source selector
- Heading difference monitor
- Off-heading monitor
- Central gyrocompass control unit
- Central service control unit.
The NAVITWIN V Control and Display Unit (CDU) is a progression from the successful NAVITWIN IV. We have designed the “Human Machine Interface” (HMI) to make use intuitive and to provide a wide range of benefits:
- 4.3” bright colour display
- All heading and sensor data and system information displayed
- Alarm management with record of alarm history
- Access to, and control of, all CompassNet components through one common CDU
- Can install up to seven additional CDUs for extra
Data Distribution Unit
The DDU offers a range of features, including:
- Interface with all navigation equipment
- Comfortable housing design, providing convenient access for faster installation and service of connections and terminals
- One processor board per DDU for a single gyrocompass system
- Plug-in of second processor board for fully redundant CompassNet in multi-gyrocompass system
- Plug-in of up to two Compass Amplifier Units (CAU)
- Connection of Northrop Grumman Sperry Marine fluxgate for magnetic compass
- Emergency controls.
The processor board provides:
- Heading management
- Alert management
- Sensor interface management
- Sensor data management
- Integrated RingBus module
- Installation in the DDU
- Second processor board for redundancy in multi-compass systems.
Variety of Configurations
CompassNet can also provide a range of options to suit your different needs and preferences.
- A range of system solutions
- Single, dual, triple and quad sensor system plus magnetic heading with free combination of the Sperry Marine gyrocompasses
- System extension solutions
- Can incorporate Sperry Marine’s NAVIGAT 200, NAVIGAT 2500 and NAVIGAT 3500
- System solutions for DP applications
- Converter and Amplifier Unit (CAU)
- Integrates the NAVIGAT 2500 and NAVIGAT 3500 fibre-optic heading sensor
- Integrates other manufacturers’ compasses (gyro and magnetic) with Course Bus or NMEA-0183 interface
- Bus repeater for long distances (70m) between CompassNet units
- Available as integral part of the DDU (max 2) or with separate housing as Converter and Amplifier Unit (CAU)
- Option 6 Step/module
- Providing a 6 Step/interface
- 24.35 and 70V DC (external supply)
- 0.25A per phase
- Installed in DDU